Pages

thrive

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Peachy Bacon Wilted Kale Salad (AIP)

Share it Please

{WARNING: This recipe contains copious amounts of bacon and lard; if you're a "fat fearer" or don't include pork into your diet, you might wanna scroll past this recipe.}

I have this distinct memory regarding wilted salad from a few years ago that really makes me chuckle now. My husband and I were at a friends house, checking out there garden, when his dad says "Boy, you can't beat turnip greens with "bacon grease" poured on them!" I was a vegetarian then and thought pork was a artery cloggin' devil-food. You can imagine what I thought when he said this. Now, here I am two years later eating a salad with lard poured over it, and feeling awesome about it. It's funny how things work out sometimes! 

I decided to experiment with this recipe because I heard my mother and few other women talking about how their grandmothers would serve lettuce with warm lard poured over it. Officially intrigued! This recipe is a rich treat, and I don't enjoy it very often. If you're on the fence about pork, here's my take: The saturated fat from pork is completely harmless to your circulatory health. Period. However, I choose to eat pork in moderation because it is relatively high in omega 6s, and relatively low in omega 3s- making it inflammatory. However, this shouldn't be problematic if you eat plenty of fish and take a fish oil supplement. I highly recommend both! So, on the the recipe: 



   Ingredients

  What you'll need:
  • 1/2 pound of pastured pork bacon (about 5 slices)
  • 8 ounces of fresh, organic baby kale or spinach
  • 7-8 slices of organic fresh or frozen peach (
  • 1 tablespoon of organic honey or maple syrup
  • 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar

1. Start by cooking your bacon to desired crispness. Once the bacon is done, remove it from pan and let it cool on a plate. Cut peach slices in half and set aside. Turn heat on low. 

2. You should have about 1/4 cup of lard left in your pan. If you feel like you have more, pour some out. 

3. Add honey, apple cider vinegar, and sea salt. Stir until well combined. 

4. Add peaches, and cook until they are tender. Remove from heat. 

5. Add kale, and stir until the leaves are wilted. 

6. Add mixture to a bowl. Crumble cooked bacon over greens and stir to combine. 



2 comments:

  1. Made this last week and it is so good. Very easy too. I am thinking of using apple to make it again. AND my whole family loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I can't wait to try this after I pick up some pastured pork at the farmers market. I am also a reformed vegetarian and have thoroughly been enjoying my bacon and animal fats and I feel so much better than I used to!

    ReplyDelete

All recipes are original creations by Tyler Peacock (The Primitive Homemaker), unless otherwise noted. If you wish to use a recipe on your own recipe or blog, please provide your readers with the link to my original recipe.