Pages

thrive

Friday, May 2, 2014

Autoimmune Paleo Italian Herb Breadsticks

Share it Please


These breadsticks were just an experiment that I was making to accompany another experiment (the pasta in the background) that turned out to be a disaster. I was attempting to make... well, maybe I won't tell you since I hope to finesse the recipe in the near future. Anyhow, the pasta was a flop. The breadsticks, however, turned out delightful. I mean, they're quite possibly the closest to a "real" bread texture and flavor I've gotten since I started making AIP recipes. Not to mention that they're simple (in ingredients and preparation), so it's a win-win situation.
These breadsticks would make a nice side-dish to an array of entrees, and the whole family will love them (because, who doesn't love bread?!). My toddler especially liked them because they're uniquely shaped, and I think she found it amusing to eat a 1 foot long piece of bread. The reason I decided to mold the dough into this shape is because plantain tends to dry on the outside, and stay sticky and gooey on the inside. I thought if I made the bread thin, the plantain would cook evenly. I was right!

    Ingredients 

  • 1 green plantain
  • 1 teaspoon of sea salt
  • 1.5 teaspoons of organic garlic granules
  • 1.5 teaspoons of organic onion granules
  • 2 tablespoons of organic dried basil
  • 1 teaspoons of organic dried parsley 
  • 1 tablespoons of organic dried oregano
  • 2 tablespoons of organic coconut oil
  • 1/3 cup of tapioca flour

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Add plantain, fat of choice, salt and spices to a blender or food processor. Blend until the plantain has formed a smooth, but thick dough.

3. Add purees plantain mixture to a large mixing bowl and add tapioca flour. Mix using a fork. Knead all of the flour into the dough using your hands. If the mixture is still very sticky, add more tapioca in increments of 1 tablespoon at a time. 

4. Pinch off small handfuls of dough, and roll out into long (8-10"), thin sticks. You should come out with about 6 breadsticks. 

5. Place breadsticks on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, and place in the oven.

6. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the sheet and flip the breadsticks. 

7. Bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until the breadsticks start to turn golden brown and are quite firm. 

Enjoy! 

13 comments:

  1. Awesome! Gotta get us some plantains : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made them today. . . they are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad to hear that. Simple is always the best!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Mickey! That means a lot coming from you. :)

      Delete
  4. Could I use arrowroot instead of tapioca?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this recipe! I made these last night, and really liked the consistency, but found that they were way too salty! I thought maybe I put too much in by mistake, but checked and I'm pretty sure I followed the recipe. I definitely plan to make this again, but with less salt, and maybe a little lighter on some of the other seasonings, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These and the AIP pizza crust look amazing but I live in the UK and no plantains in sight. Is there an alternative?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I don't think there is a proper substitute for plantain. It's a pretty unique ingredient and takes the place of both a flour and egg, and I'm not sure theres any other ingredient that can do that. Predominantly Paleo has a crust made with yuca; do you have access to that?

      Delete
  7. I made these with dinner tonight and I still can't get over how amazing they are! Super easy and so crunchy and the taste is out of this world. Thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried these tonight. The plantain I used was pretty small. I couldn't get the dough to stick together when I rolled it. I ended up making little round biscuits (6 cookie-sized ones). They were pretty hard, but the flavor was good. I dipped them in chicken soup. I'm still not sure why I couldn't make them into breadsticks. I tried adding more tapioca flour, and that just made the problem worse. (I had added the tapioca flour 1 Tbsp at a time because I had a smaller amount of plantain. I think I used 3-4 Tbsp.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm confused...the recipe says to add "fat of choice" to plantains, but ingredient list doesn't include it?? Did everyone make them without any fat? How much fat should be added? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ingredient list says 2 tbs of coconut oil I make them with coconut oil or ghee. I like the flavor of ghee better. :)

      Delete

All recipes are original creations by Tyler Peacock (The Primitive Homemaker), unless otherwise noted. If you wish to use a recipe on your own recipe or blog, please provide your readers with the link to my original recipe.