Pages

thrive

Friday, April 11, 2014

Maple & Bacon Toasted Coconut Butter (AIP)

Share it Please



There's no denying it. I miss nut/seed butter quite a lot. Not only were they great additions to many, many recipes- they make a great snack all by themselves. I was totally guilty of eating sunflower seed butter right out of the jar when I needed a quick snack. Then when I started following the autoimmune protocol, I thought I'd never be able to enjoy a nut butter again. And then, I stumbled upon this wonderful recipe for toasted coconut butter over at The Healthy Foodie. Yes! It was a miracle. With a little cinnamon and honey, I couldn't tell a difference between it and a nut or seed butter. It comes together in just a few minutes, and is a very versatile "condiment" to have in your pantry. 

Sadly, shortly after making my first batch, I realized I was having an aversion to coconut. I had half a jar of this in my pantry, taunting me to eat it for weeks. Since then, I still have not been able to tolerate coconut, so I can no longer enjoy this delicious stuff. However, I put together a recipe for you all to enjoy (even though I can't). My toddler did the taste test, and approved by scarfing down several large tablespoons. I didn't need her approval to know if was delicious though.. I mean, it has bacon it it!



  Ingredients


1. Pour shredded coconut into large skillet with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, and cook on medium. Stir frequently until all of the coconut is dark golden brown in color.

2. Let cool. Add coconut, the remaining coconut oil, cinnamon, and maple syrup to blender or food processor. Process until you have a brown liquidy butter. 

3. Cook bacon until it is crispy, and can be crumbled into small pieces. 

4. Add coconut butter and bacon to a container, and stir well. 

5. The coconut butter will solidify eventually, because of the oil in it. If you store it in the refrigerator, it will get really hard. I am storing mine in an airtight container at room temperature. Since it has bacon in it, I think it should be consumed within a week. This recipe makes about 2 cups; you may want to cut it in half. 

Enjoy! 

4 comments:

  1. We are so trying this. We'll just make some fake'n to throw in it : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going on my list for things-to-make-very-soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to make it again! I ate all of it over a weekend. Thankfully my husband was too scared to try it, so I didn't have to share. :)

      Delete
    2. I can't imagine not wanting to eat this! I really cannot imagine.

      Delete

All recipes are original creations by Tyler Peacock (The Primitive Homemaker), unless otherwise noted. If you wish to use a recipe on your own recipe or blog, please provide your readers with the link to my original recipe.