Share it Please
While my family and I eat a super strict and clean diet- we also pay very close attention to the products we put on our skin, hair, and teeth. One reason we choose to eat such a healthy diet, is to prevent disease- and that's the same reason we're picky about the lotions, soaps, shampoos, and toothpastes we put our body in contact with. One bottle of "conventional" lotion can have over 20 different synthetic chemicals in it! Some of which are "minute" quantities of a known carcinogen! It really baffles me, because it's just plain unnecessary. In my household, we have one bottle of very natural shampoo, and one of lotion. And guess what? None of us has dandruff, oily hair, oily skin, dry skin, or acne. For us, we don't need a million products to keep our bodies healthy looking. (Primarily because of what we're putting in ourselves, of course!) I also think that many lotions, acne scrubs, and shampoos simply exacerbate the problem! The truth is, every beauty and skin product you need, can be made at home with just a handful of ingredients. And further, it likely will work much better than any chemical laden product you could purchase.
So, this idea came to me when my lovely sister-in-law asked me if coconut oil would whiten her teeth. I thought "Yay! A blog post idea!" So, when I got home, I mixed up a concoction. I had heard several years ago that turmeric would whiten your teeth, and everyone knows that baking soda will as well. Then, I also knew that coconut oil was good for oral health, and it would help to make a paste out of the other ingredients- so the idea was born. Super simple, and incredibly effective. My teeth weren't terribly stained, but they certainly weren't pearly white. After using this whitening paste, my husband and I both agreed that my teeth we're about 3 shades whiter! From the first use!? That's pretty amazing, right? The best part is that you can use it as often as you want, and there are no harmful substances. Below is a before and after picture of my teeth.
Pretty amazing, huh?
What you'll need
- 4 tablespoons of organic turmeric root powder
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- 2.5 tablespoons of organic coconut oil
1. First add dry ingredients to a small bowl. Mix well.
2. Add coconut. I used a fork to mash the ingredients together until I had a thick, cohesive, orange paste.
3. I brushed my teeth prior to using the whitening paste, but it isn't necessary. Use a spoon to scoop out about 2 teaspoons, and put onto a toothbrush. This mixture will stain your toothbrush, so you'll probably want to buy a new one that is designated for use with this tooth whitening paste.
4. Brush teeth with mixture for about 2 minutes. If you've used turmeric before, you know that it can definitely stain your skin. I kept a damp wash cloth handy to wipe any that got on or around my mouth.
5. Once you're done brushing, the coconut oil will have melted in your mouth. Swish with this for another 60 seconds.
6. Spit, and rinse with water until it comes out clear.
Store mixture in a sealed container. It should keep indefinitely. This recipe should make enough for about 20 uses.
Do this daily, weekly, monthly- or whenever you feel like it!
Be sure to share your results with us!