Pages

thrive

Friday, March 21, 2014

Avocado & Sardine Tapenade (AIP)

Share it Please

I'll admit it, I am a total baby when it comes to sardines. In my effort to heal, and achieve optimal health, I have realized how incredibly important it is to eat fish regularly. Now, I can eat salmon fillets all day long and never get tired of it. But sardines, and any other "whole" canned fish- I.. just cant. Last week Diane Sanfillipo asked her Facebook readers what food they just couldn't eat, and nearly everyone answered sardines. She replied to this by saying "stop being big babies!" Right then, I decided I was going to stop being a baby. I mean, I like the taste of them, but have never been able to get over the appearance enough to actually incorporate them into my diet. However, I know that sardines are jam packed with healthy fats and nutrients, and it is truly worth trying to get used to. 

This is my first time to ever make a "recipe" with sardines, and I am thrilled with the way it turned out. Tapenade is traditionally served on bread, or crackers- but if you're reading my blog, it's likely those aren't staples in your diet. I'm on the 21 Day Sugar Detox right now, so I just ate the tapenade with a steak. However, it would be great served in a plantain wrap, or on plantain chip or crackers! I could probably even eat this all by itself! It's incredibly satiating because it's got lots of fat, and even a bit of carbohydrates. I hope you enjoy! And let me know how you use your tapenade! 


Ingredients


1. In a blender, blend avocado, half the can of olives, 1/4 cup of the juice from the can of olives, 1/2 of the can of artichokes, basil, thyme, garlic, onion, sea salt, and olive oil. Puree. 

2. Add mixture to a large mixing bowl. Cut remaining artichokes and olives in half and add to avocado mixture. 

3. Add sardine to mixture, and mash until there are no large pieces remaining. You may even add an additional can of sardines if you wish! 

Enjoy! 



4 comments:

  1. This looks luxurious! Definitely going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really really good! I made this for a BBQ yesterday and everyone said it tasted like crab dip! Enjoyed it with plantain chips & sliced bell pepper. Definitely will be making this throughout the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can eat sardines fine...
    IF they are the kind with red pepper or mustard. Plain I just can't stand them. This looks doable, though, so thanks!
    I'd been worried about calcium on this diet, but now I'm feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sardines. My mouth is watering as a read this. Can't wait to go home and make it.

    ReplyDelete

All recipes are original creations by Tyler Peacock (The Primitive Homemaker), unless otherwise noted. If you wish to use a recipe on your own recipe or blog, please provide your readers with the link to my original recipe.