Pages

thrive

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

1 Ingredient Ice-Cream (PALEO, SCD, GAPS)

Share it Please

Melty, creamy, rich, sweet deliciousness. There is just nothing like ice-cream! For me, it is one the ultimate comfort foods. During the Summer months, I was deeply saddened by all of the ice-cream recipes on Pinterest (monster cravings would be an understatement). Even the more simple recipes have gobs of honey, and are fairly expensive to make. So, when I stumbled upon this gem- I was ecstatic. Don't be deterred by your assumptions! When I first saw this recipe, I thought "there's no way." But let me tell you, just this one ingredient makes the creamiest, lightest, smoothest ice-cream ever. 

So what's this elusive ingredient? It's a.. banana! Yep, that's all ya need. The end product is much more than just smooshed up, frozen banana. Oh, it's so much more. The flavor isn't overly banana-y; it's actually a very versatile (like vanilla) flavor. So, you can can add cinnamon, cacao powder, maca, frozen fruit (strawberries, blueberries, etc.), chocolate chips, walnuts, almond butter, maple syrup, or whatever your sweet little heart desires. Flavor combinations are endless. To give you some inspiration, I made this "plain", and with blueberries. 

What you need:

   Ingredients
  • Organic Bananas
  • Optional Add Ins- Frozen Berries, Nut Butter, Cinnamon, Cacao Powder

1. Each banana will make about 1 serving. So, depending on how many servings you want to make, you may need several bananas. Peel your banana, and slice it into 1/2" rounds. Put slices into sealed container, and freeze overnight. 

2. For this step, you will need either a masticating juicer like this, or a food processor. I use the juicer. If you plan to use your masticating juicer, be sure to put in your blank screen- not your regular juicing screen. Now, let the magic happen! If you use a juicer, slowly add the bananas, and use a large bowl to catch the ice cream. It should come out like soft serve! Mmm. If you're using a food processor, slowly add your banana slices until you have a smooth consistency.

3. Serve immediately. 

Note: If you are using a juicer, and want to use add-ins- add them while adding the bananas; that will incorporate the add-ins evenly. For add-ins like chocolate chips or nuts, stir them in after you have made your ice-cream. 




-Tyler

6 comments:

  1. Im drooling now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like it may curb some major cravings for me (I am currently following the AIP) but I have a few questions; how ripe should the bananas be? I will be using a food processor so just add the pieces one at a time? When is the best time to add any additional ingredients? Do you have to eat it immediately or can you make a large batch and return it to the freezer? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, just saw the note about additional ingredients please ignore my question pertaining to them.

      Delete
    2. Hey there! If you're trying to consume less sugar and carbs, I recommend using green tipped bananas. It will obviously taste better if they are bit more ripened, though. If you slowly add in the additional ingredients as your add the banana, you get long streaks of the incorporated; which I think is great! But if you want an ingredient like cacao or nut butter to be completely incorporated, you may want to process it a few times. I have never tried to freeze it for later, so I'm not sure how that would work. I think that it would probably just freeze into a solid block. I do have an idea though! In my other ice cream recipes, I've added things like vanilla extract with alcohol to keep it from freezing solid. So, if you mixed in something with alcohol, which won't freeze, it may still be "scoopable" after freezing. Let me know how it goes if you try it!

      Delete
  3. Will this blend well in my magic bullet??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made this with the frozen banana, some mango, and mixed frozen berries. I added a little coconut milk to help with the mixing in my vitamix. Perfect treat!

    ReplyDelete

All recipes are original creations by Tyler Peacock (The Primitive Homemaker), unless otherwise noted. If you wish to use a recipe on your own recipe or blog, please provide your readers with the link to my original recipe.