Pages

thrive

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Savory Juice Pulp Crackers (RAW, PALEO, SCD)

Share it Please

If you've ever juiced very much, you know that pulp can accumulate fairly quickly. My husband and I bought the Omega J8006 Juicer last year, and it made juicing so quick and easy that we have grown quite fond of juice. I've heard avid juicers talk about all of the yummies you can make with pulp, but only recently decided to make use of this awesome stuff! These crackers are Autoimmune Paleo (as long as you don't use nightshade pulp), GAPS, and SCD friendly. 

Right after we got the juicer, I looked up recipes for juice pulp crackers- but nothing stood out at me. So when I decided to try my own version last week, I didn't even look up recipes to give me direction- I just went for it. A little of this, a little of that, blend it up- and guess what? They came out awesome. So, again, I encourage you to use what you already have! You can't mess this up. As long as the pulp is blended well enough with the right amount of oil to stick together, they'll be great. Also, don't be concerned about what type of pulp you're using. We juiced twice last week, so I just saved the pulp in a sealed container until I had enough to make my crackers. These crackers have apple, ginger, cilantro, (lots of) kale, and.. I can't even remember what else. The pulp doesn't have much flavor- so it won't matter if it's a mixture of fruit and vegetable pulp. 

So, what I used:

Ingredients

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. I used a a wooden spoon for this. You'll be blending the mixture, so just try to evenly distribute your ingredients. 

2. Once everything is well combined, throw the mixture into a food processor or blender. If you use a blender for this step, you will probably have to open the blender and mix the ingredients periodically. The mixture is not going to be saturated, so it doesn't blend well; a food processor would be ideal. I did use a blender though, and it worked just fine.

3. To make these raw, you'll need a dehydrator; I used 1.5 sheets in my Excalibur Dehydrator. On your Paraflexx sheets, or parchment paper, spread your mixture. You want the layers to be fairly thin, but not too thin. The crackers will shrink in the dehydrator- so if you make it too thin, you crackers will probably have holes in them. I think around 1/4 of an inch is ideal. 

4. To make your crackers raw, set your dehydrator to 115! Flip them after they've been dehydrating for 5 hours. When I flipped mine, I scorred them into squares so that they'd be easier to break into pieces. Dehydrate them for an additional 8-10 hours (or until desired crispy-ness). 

5. When they're done, break them into pieces, and store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. 


-Tyler 








No comments:

Post a Comment

All recipes are original creations by Tyler Peacock (The Primitive Homemaker), unless otherwise noted. If you wish to use a recipe on your own recipe or blog, please provide your readers with the link to my original recipe.