Pages

thrive

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Rosemary Lemon Cookies (RAW, PALEO, SCD)

Share it Please


A few Christmases ago (before I discovered my gluten sensitivity), I found the most wonderful rosemary lemon butter cookie recipe (recipe HERE). Seriously, hands down, my favorite. cookie. ever. It's just loaded with sugar and flour! Anyhow, with the holidays just around the corner, I've been daydreaming about what I will prepare for the family gatherings. Most of my family members think I'm off my rocker because of the uber health conscious decisions I make, and are hesitant to try anything I prepare. Not to mention that it can cost more to prepare a healthy, organic meal- so why waste my time, money, and effort if it isn't recognized or appreciated? Well, I do it anyway- because, even if they think I'm crazy, I still can't consciously prepare a toxic meal for them. I don't go all out (only because I can't afford to), but I usually try to bring at least one dish or dessert to a family gathering. This year, I thought I might try to recreate that heavenly butter cookie.
I just threw this together in about 10 minutes, so I may end up tweaking this recipe in a few weeks when I try it again. I was quite pleased with the results of my first attempt though! It's smooth, and tangy, and sweet, and herbaly!


What you'll need:

   Ingredients

1. In a high speed blender, or grinder- blend your rosemary into a fine powder. 

2. Add coconut, rosemary powder, nuts/seeds, and salt to a food processor or high speed blender. 

3. Once the dry ingredients have been well combined, you can add the remaining ingredients to the mixture. I used my Oster Versa to blend the mixture, so I had to open the blender and scrape the sides periodically. Continue blending, or mixing, until you have a cohesive dough. The hemp seeds I used we're very fresh and oily, so they definitely added some moisture to the mixture. If you're using roasted almonds, or something similar, you may need to add an additional tablespoons of honey or butter. You don't want your "dough" to be too moist either, so add more coconut in tablespoon increments until it reaches the proper consistency. 

4. Coat a baking dish, or storage container, with coconut oil. Roll your dough into 1/2 inch wide balls, and  press them into cookies. Don't make them too thin, or you may have trouble removing them from your dish. 

5. Cover your dish and place in the freezer overnight, or approximately 6 hours. In my experience with raw desserts, I have found that freezing for this period of time really helps to meld the flavors. After 6 hours, they should be refrigerated. Lemon is a natural preservative, so these should keep in your refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. 

I do plan to try these in the dehydrator when I make them next, to add a bit of crunch. If it goes well, I will update the recipe.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Have a blessed day, and let me know if you try it!

-Tyler





1 comment:

All recipes are original creations by Tyler Peacock (The Primitive Homemaker), unless otherwise noted. If you wish to use a recipe on your own recipe or blog, please provide your readers with the link to my original recipe.