Pages

thrive

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Chocolate Ginger Spice Cookies (RAW-PALEO-GAPS)

Share it Please

Ever been hung on using the same herbs, spices, or flavor combinations in the kitchen? I certainly have. This past week, I have been obsessed with the combination of chocolate and ginger. (We bought a pound of raw organic cacao last month, so I've also been using chocolate almost every day.) It's so good! I make a smoothie every morning, and have been making a chocolate, blueberry, spinach, and ginger smoothie that is simply heavenly.  Anyhow, I hope you like these. Raw snacks are so fun, and easy to get creative with. 

Raw cookies, truffles and bars haven't been cooked- so they're soft and chewy! They may seem difficult, but I promise they're they easiest snack to make. Not to mention that you only need a blender or food processor to make them- so you don't have to mess up your kitchen to make these yummy things. I'm actually preparing a post right now that will cover the basics of raw desserts! So be sure to check that out. If you've read any of my other recipes, you know I like to keep things simple; this recipe is no exception. I used 6 ingredients, and two of them were flavor add-ins. AND instead of using two types of oil, you can use just coconut oil! I just used cacao butter because I had it.. and it's delicious. I also threw a few tablespoons of organic hemp seeds in mine, but that is totally optional. I didn't put that in the ingredient list, because I didn't want to cause too much confusion. 


What you'll need:

Ingredients

1. Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor. I used the NutriBullet, and had to open the blender and scrape the sides a few times. If you don't have a powerful blender, I recommend mincing the ginger before adding it into the mixture. The NutriBullet blender did an excellent job of blending the ginger into the mixture.

2.Your mixture should be a pretty smoothe, cohesive dough now. Form balls about 1/2 inch in diameter, and flatten them into cookies. Not too thin though! Put them on a glass pyrex, or similar, and refrigerate.

3. The oil in the cookies should have caused them to solidify within 2-4 hours. You can take them off of the sheet now and put them in a sealed container for storage in the refrigerator. 

These will keep in the refrigerator for about a week. 

Thanks for reading!

-Tyler

3 comments:

  1. These look delicious! Thanks for sharing! btw, cacao isn't SCD legal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about noting that on some of my recipes, but there's so much controversy about whether it is or not. Some of the things Elaine labels as illegal, are only illegal because of some of the other ingredients that it is often pair with. Take pineapple for instance- in her book, she says it's legal. On the website now, it says illegal because of the preservative or something. Well, most people who are concerned enough about their health to go on the SCD, probably wouldn't eat additives like that anyway. So, it isn't the actual pineapple that is "illegal". I think the case is the same for cacao. She doesn't address cacao powder in it's pure form- just chocolate. I don't think that cacao has complex carbs, or any other attribute that would make it illegal. I'm on the fence about it, and wish that someone else would address this as well. Cacao is a superfood, and if it isn't detrimental to our digestion on this diet- we should certainly be eating it.

      Delete
    2. Hey Tyler, I agree! I don't understand why its illegal either and the only explanation I have found is that it may aggravate your condition. I know many SCDers are fine with it, and I hope to be one of them too, I just haven't muster the nerve to try it yet. But your recipe has finally tipped me over the edge :)

      Delete

All recipes are original creations by Tyler Peacock (The Primitive Homemaker), unless otherwise noted. If you wish to use a recipe on your own recipe or blog, please provide your readers with the link to my original recipe.