Pages

thrive

Friday, October 25, 2013

(PALEO, GAPS, RAW) Superfood {NO-GRAIN}OLA Crunch

Share it Please


My lovely husband did something wonderful this week; he ordered a whole bunch of superfoods from Earth Shift Products (website HERE) for us!! What a dandy deed that was. He's should be called "The Primitive Breadwinner". Anyhow, I'm stoked. I immediately started dreaming up recipes, and this turned out far better than I imagined it would. It's a great source of protein- and chock full of vitamins, minerals, enzymes and fiber! I have provided links to the exact ingredients I used, so you can learn more about each ingredient. Earth Shift Products provides excellent nutritional information about their products.

First of all, I would like to clear something up about my recipes. All of the recipes here are from my own imagination. If I am inspired my someone else's recipe, I will let you know- and provide a link to their blog! This recipe was a creation of my own. So, I pretty much just made it up as I went along. I hope that my recipes can inspire you to get in your kitchen and get creative. Most of my recipes don't have to be followed to the exact measurement or ingredient list. For this recipe, the cacao powder & nibs, goji's, and mulberry's are add-in's. If you don't have them, flavor it with what you do have- vanilla, almonds, raisins, chocolate chips, walnuts, cinnamon, etc.



For this recipe, I used my Excalibur dehydrator so that I could make them raw. Furthermore, it took quite a while. 36 hours to be exact. If you're not using raw ingredients, you can just bake it! It's much, much quicker that way. Although it takes longer to make in the dehydrator- the dehydrator make it much more energy efficient to make these.

  What you'll need:



        INGREDIENTS
   For the granola

     For the add-ins
Before I get started on the directions, I want to add something about the oil in the granola recipe. I didn't have any coconut oil on hand, so I got creative with the cacao butter and palm oil. Instead of using those two, you can use 3 & 1/2 tablespoons of coconut oil! Or any combination that you wish. You want your mixture to be a thick, somewhat cohesive consistency. If it's too "wet", add more coconut. If it's not cohesive, add a few more tablespoons of honey or oil. It's pretty simple, and impossible to mess up. 

1. If you're making this raw, use a double boiler for this first step. If you're not concerned about that, then just use a sauce pan instead. Heat your oils(s), cacao powder, maca powder, honey, and sea salt until melted and well combined. If you're making it raw, make sure that you use a candy thermometer. 

2. One that mixture is combined, you can add in your hemp seeds and shredded coconut. Combine the two mixtures well. You can adjust the amount of oil, honey, or coconut to get the right consistency. (read above)

3. Now, if you're making this raw: Using parchment paper, or a Paraflex sheet, spread the mixture out into a thin layer on your dehydrator tray. You'll need to dehydrate these at 115 degrees for 30-36 hours- turning twice. Halfway through the dehydration process, I broke my sheet into pieces. They will still feel somewhat wet after they're done, but they will harden after an hour or so. I just turned my dehydrator off, and left them on the tray for about 1.5 hours before removing them. 

 If you're making these in the oven: (I didn't make mine in the oven, so I'm estimating- based off of other similar granola recipes). Preheat your oven to it's lowest setting (probably around 200 degress), and spread the mixture onto a baking sheet. Bake for approximately 2-3 hours, or until the granola is dried and crunchy. You'll need to remove the granola from the oven to turn at least twice. 

4. One you're granola is done, you can combine it and the add-ins(cacao nibs, gojis, and mulberries) in a glass bowl.

I stored mine in single serving bags to preserve freshness.

Enjoy! & Let me know if you try it.

-Tyler





No comments:

Post a Comment

All recipes are original creations by Tyler Peacock (The Primitive Homemaker), unless otherwise noted. If you wish to use a recipe on your own recipe or blog, please provide your readers with the link to my original recipe.