Pages

thrive

Monday, September 23, 2013

Paleo Pumpkin Spice Bars (with chocolate drizzle!)

Share it Please




It's finally Fall, and you know what that means? Pumpkin flavored stuff! I've been getting bombarded with pumpkin stuff on Facebook and Pinterest, and the can of organic pumpkin puree in the pantry was starting to call me name. 

This was my first experiment with pumpkin anything since I've been on the SCD, and it turned out quite well. I will definitely be making these again. I got my inspiration from Elana over at Elana's Pantry. You can see her recipe here.
 While you're there, you should browse a bit; she has some brilliant recipes. Like Elana, I recommend using your own roasted pumpkin. However, since this was an experiment, I didn't take the time to roast my own pumpkin. Because of the BPA liner in cans, it's best to use fresh ingredients when possible. This recipe is both Paleo and GAPS friendly. If you leave the chocolate drizzle out, they're SCD friendly as well! 

So, to make these you'll need:



      Ingredients

For the bars:
For the drizzle:

1. Coat an 8 by 8 baking dish with coconut oil, and preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

2. Combine coconut flour, baking soda, sea salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in bowl. Mix well, and make sure there are no clumps. I store my coconut flour in the fridge, and that causes it to form big clumps. If you have a sifter, that would be ideal. 

3. Combine eggs, honey, coconut oil, and pumpkin puree in a separate bowl. You can mix with a fork, but I used a hand mixer on medium for about 3 minutes. 

4. Combine wet and dry ingredients, and mix until you have a think consistency. Let sit for 3-4 minutes before pouring into baking dish. 

5. Use a spoon or spatula to evenly spread the mixture into dish. 

6. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Let cool for at least 20 minutes before adding the drizzle.

7. For the drizzle: combine remaining oil, honey, and cacao and mix well. Use a measuring cup, or something with a pouring spout to drizzle over the bars. Coconut oil solidifies at room temperature, so once they've cooled the drizzle will harden. 

8. Cut into squares & devour! 


Enjoy. & let me know if you try this recipe! 

-Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment

All recipes are original creations by Tyler Peacock (The Primitive Homemaker), unless otherwise noted. If you wish to use a recipe on your own recipe or blog, please provide your readers with the link to my original recipe.